Arrow Right
Frequently ASked questions
You will likely have many questions about migrating to Australia. Here are answers to commonly asked questions that may help guide you.
Hello! I'd like to know more about the visa application process. 🤯

Visa application process

Our process with new clients is to conduct an initial consultation to understand your needs/goals, and then assess your circumstances, including your employment, education, family, travel and health. Once a detailed analysis has been conducted, we will then advise you on the most appropriate visa for you and your family and what needs to be done to ensure you have the best chance of a successful outcome.
Can I travel to Australia without a visa?
No. It is unlawful to enter Australia without a valid Visa.
How can I know what visa I should apply for?
This will depend on several factors, such as your reasons for coming to Australia, the intended time you wish to spend here and whether or not you are seeking permission to work while you are here. There are many categories of visas in Australia as we have one of the most complex migration programs in the world. It is important to understand what visa best suits your needs and ensure you meet the eligibility criteria for that Visa. At Migration Ways, our aim is to assess your situation and determine what visa subclass is most appropriate for you and your family.
How long before I travel should I apply for a visa?
This all depends on what type of visa you are applying for. The processing times for visa applications vary significantly based on the subclass of the visa, the individual situation of the applicant, and the integrity of the application. We recommend using an experienced registered migration agent, who will ensure that your application is correct and complete upon submission to the Department of Home Affairs, which will significantly reduce processing times.
How and where do I apply for a visa?
The majority of Australian visas are submitted electronically via the Immi Account system which is accessed from the Department of Home Affairs website. There are some visa categories that still require a paper application to be posted to the relevant DOHA office. We can advise you on whether or not your application can be lodged electronically or by post.
Can I apply for my visa myself?
Yes, you are able to apply for an Australian visa without engaging the service of a migration agent. There are however, significant advantages of engaging an expert to help you navigate through the complex nature of Australian migration law. At Migration Ways, we pride ourselves on being able to problem solve, guide you through a number of complex decision-making processes, determine the best visa option and ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria. Most importantly, we aim to take the stress out of your hands and correspond with all relevant government authorities on your behalf to ensure further requests and deadlines are always met.
What are the requirements to apply for an Australian visa?
This all depends on the type of visa you are applying for. Each visa subclass will have specific legal requirements that must be satisfied by the applicant and this needs to be evidenced with the relevant supporting documents.
Can Migration Ways guarantee the successful outcome of a visa application?
As migration agents, we cannot provide a guarantee on the outcome of an application as we are not the decision makers, however our role is to maximize your chances of a successful outcome by providing correct and up-to-date advice on relevant eligibility criteria, gathering required documents to support your case and submitting a strong application on your behalf.

We pride ourselves on a strong success rate, which has been achieved through a combination of many years of experience, understanding of clients’ needs and always keeping the client’s best interests at the forefront of our decision-making process.
Do I have to do a medical test?
For temporary visa applications, this generally depends on the visa you are applying for and your individual circumstance. For permanent visa applications, all applicants are required to undergo a full medical examination and chest x-ray. Any accompanying family members included in your application must also undergo the medical examination and must satisfy health requirements.
How will I be notified if my visa application is successful or not?
The DOHA generally issues visa notification letters via email. If you have engaged a migration agent, then the email will be sent directly to your agent. Otherwise, if you have lodged the application on your own, then you will need to indicate which email address you wish to receive correspondence.
Can my family come with me on my TSS (482) work visa?
Yes, you can include family members in your 482 visa application. You must be able to show evidence of your relationship. For a partner to be included, you will need to either be married or in a de-facto relationship. One of our agents can advise on the requirements and type of supporting evidence you would need to provide to satisfy the de-facto relationship criteria.
I am in a relationship with an Australian… how do I come to Australia?
If you are either in a married or de-facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for a partner visa. If you are residing offshore, you would need to apply for the offshore category under the subclass 309/100 and your visa application would be assessed at your nearest processing office. If you are currently living in Australia with your Australian partner, then you would apply for the onshore category under the subclass 820/801. Processing times vary significantly for the partner visa. You may also be eligible for a Prospective Marriage Visa if you are residing offshore and are engaged to be married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Please contact the team at Migration Ways if you are seeking advice on how to migrate to Australia or remain in Australia with your Australian partner. We have assisted many couples who have successfully settled in Australia.
Can I study in Australia?
Australia is very popular with international students, as we boast an excellent education system and infrastructure, purposely set up to meet the demands. Australia has many vocational and tertiary institutes that offer a variety of courses for all levels of education. It is important to note that an important criterion to satisfy when applying for a Student Visa is the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria. This means that you may be assessed whether your intentions to study in Australia are genuine. Education agents are a useful resource for assisting students in finding the most suitable course, however please do not rely on education agents for Australian immigration advice. They are not qualified to provide you with immigration advice and it is against the law to do so.
How can I work in Australia?
There are many types of visas that allow you to work in Australia. Some temporary work visas require an employer to sponsor you while other visas come with restrictions such as limited hours or only working for the same employer for a specified period of time. If you want to work in Australia, it is important that you apply for the correct visa type. We can advise you on the best visa to apply for to suit your circumstances.